Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mango Passion Kulfi

I was very happy to pick up some fresh ripe Passion Fruits from the grocery store yesterday. I had first tasted this fruit several years ago when a friend at work brought a passion fruit dessert...since then I have fallen in love with the flavor of this exotic fruit.

Fresh Passion fruit is not always easily available here (although the pulp can be bought at Latin American stores or online stores like amazon.com) so it was important to make the best possible use of the fresh fruit juice. Passion fruit by itself can be sweet-tart to tart, but on adding some sweet contrast , it can add an extra dimension of flavor in any dessert.

I decided to combine it with Mango and make Kulfi which kids had been craving for ! Kulfi is a very popular Indian version of ice  cream. Milk is boiled and reduced, flavors added, then frozen resulting in a rich dense and thick ice cream.

So there I was, introducing this new fruit to my kids. When I cut it open there was a delicious sweet aroma that was almost like an intense scent of Guava fruit. My son described the fruit as a juicy baby pomegranate,  and was excited to explore the fruit by itself, and its flavor with Mango in Kulfi.

 

passionfruit_copyright

Recipe (around 8 servings)

  • Whole milk - 4 cups
  • Condensed milk – 1/2 cup 
  • Mango pulp - 1 cup 
  • 6 Passion fruits (or passion pulp/syrup/concentrate)
  • Sugar

Method

  • Put the milk in a heavy based pan, and bring it to boil. Now reduce the heat to low and simmer till the milk is reduced to half. This takes around 30 min. Keep stirring in between. When the skin forms on the top or the sides stir it back in. It is this process that gives kulfi its traditional creamy and rough texture. This can be done in parallel to cooking regular meals in kitchen, that way it does not take up extra time
  • When the milk reduces to half, let it cool
  • In the meanwhile scoop out the passion fruit pulp and seeds into a strainer (or muslin cloth) over a bowl. Press with the back of a spoon to extract the juice. There's not much juice in a single passion fruit, but it is very  strong, and loaded with flavor. 6 fruits yield approximately 1/4 cup of juice. If fresh passion fruits are not available, use passion pulp/concentrate
  • Add condensed milk which further adds to the richness and creaminess
  • Add Mango pulp (I used canned Alphanso pulp,  since fresh Alphanso is not available here), passion fruit juice, and mix it well
  • Taste it and add sugar if needed. I did not have to add any sugar because of the canned mango pulp and sweet condensed milk
  • Pour in moulds and freeze overnight or until firm
  • To unmould, dip the moulds under hot water for few seconds and gently pry out with a knife onto a plate. Kulfi is best eaten a little soft, as it melts around the edges

kulfi_copyright

The Kulfi was just so sublime with the tropical flavors of passion-fruit and the sweetness of mango in every bite. So forget about calories for a moment, and just indulge!

Sending this to Srivalli's Mithai Mela, and to FIC favorite hosted by Sweatha,  event started by Sunny Sunshinemom of TongueTicklers.  Also sending this to Sanghi’s FIL event.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ! This looks so delicious...Perfect for summer !
Reena

Sowmya said...

U have got cool recipes there, I ll sure try sometime n post comments..
The pics are great..
Lots of efforts, I can see...

Red Chillies said...

Hi Jyoti, you have a great blog going. Keep up the good work. I have added you to FoodWorld.

Unknown said...

Looks really delicious, never thought of passion fruit in kulfi. Very interesting.

Bombay Foodie said...

I've never ever tasted passionfruit...that's on my wishlist for whenever I find it.

Uma said...

Very creative recipe..combining mango with passion in kulfi. Had seen passion fruits in my local store sometime back, did not know what to do with them . Next time I see, I will pick them up.

Alka said...

We get here Passion Fruit icecreams,combined with many other flavors and they do taste wonderful.But mango is an ultimate combo and i would love to dig into this in this summer
but alas we do not get passion fruits here..maybe i will search for some pulp :-)

Parita said...

never thought of using passion fruit in kulfi..very innovative..gorgeous presentation :)

Unknown said...

Wow,this looks delicious and perfect.Perfect for summer.Thanks for the delicious yellow entry.

Dolon said...

Hi .
I love Mango Kulfi . The picture looks really delicious .
I am new in the blogger community .Please do visist my blog http://doloncookbook.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

looks sooo yum !!!!! :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

You have a lovely blog..
Love the dishes here..

Vidya said...

Lovely!! Very creative!

Cilantro said...

Lovely Kulfi, Nice click too.

lubnakarim06 said...

Awesome.....Very unique.....looks yum....

B said...

Hey Jyoti,

Nice blog. I have tried kulfi with lilikoi butter (passion fruit jam) since I love passion fruit as well and I do nto like my kulfi too sweet. Nice post. u guys shoudl visit us sometimes

Bindu

Saritha said...

new recipe and fruit for me,looks great....

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I love passion fruits its that I dont get them here very often!!! Lovely dessert!!! My first visit here, have blogrolled you shall come back for more!!!

Indian Khana said...

Ummm looks so gud...wow

Sunshinemom said...

I too am in search of this fruit. Haven't seen them here! Looks very tasty!

Malaysian Delicacies said...

Hi Jyoti,
Wow, good combination.Sure know it wud be tasty.

lata raja said...

Hi, very interesting recipe.New to me.Shall try it out.

Srikitchen said...

wow! that looks delicious!
join in the efm breakfast series going in my blog!

Madhuram said...

That's a fantastic dessert and presentation Jyoti. I have never tasted passion fruit. Actually I saw one in the oriental market yesterday but didn't get it because I was not sure if we would like it. Now I know what to do with this fruit.

Madhuram said...

Hi Jyoti, your mango kulfi post inspired me to prepare pumpkin kulfi and it came out very well. I have posted it today. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

First time on your site...Loved it. Fell for the vibrant colours of the kulfi...bet that your kids would have wanted it again...
Do visit my blogsite when you can at www.anubhavati.wordpress.com.

Shobha